Black Friday . . .

I used to love to go downtown on Black Friday.  This was back in the day when Marshall Field's and Carson's were still fixtures on State Street.  I loved the hustle and bustle, and seeing the windows . . .

Those days are gone, much the same way Field's is.  And there's a Target where Carson's used to be.  And I find that the crowds now are far less civilized.  Times change.  Hard for some of us . . . 

I spent a quiet Thanksgiving by myself yesterday - and it was really great.  I ate food that I normally avoid, drank some root beer and a ginger ale (again - not normal), and I watched all three of my Netflix (which have been languishing since early September for lack of time . . . ).  On that score - Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is a lovely little film; Les Mis was just not so great . . . ; and Life of Pi is well worth seeing.  I got some knitting done. Did I mention that I ate food that I normally avoid?

Yeah - well, it's been kind of a crazy couple of weeks on that score.  I really haven't felt well for a couple of weeks - probably some low-grade intestinal bug,, but it's made me really tired.  Long story short, after the bottle of Gatorade I had to have last week, my body has been seeking sugar again.  And I indulged it because it did give me more energy, which I really, really needed - and I really didn't feel the effects too much which was really surprising . . .

Really???  Well, yeah - I mean, I didn't feel the effects.  Not right away . . .

No, not right away, but the cumulative effect of a little sugar here and a little more there in these past few weeks smacked me upside the head this morning - or should I say grabbed my joints in a vice grip.  I totally blew past the envelope - forget about pushing, I turbo'd right through.  I mean, really?  If I needed any more proof about how sugar and highly processed foods affect my body, I have it now, because the chickens came home to roost today.  Everything hurts, and after months (and I was SO excited to be not taking it anymore . . . ) of being off my anti-inflammatory, I had to take one this morning. 

I just made a very healthy dinner and had it for breakfast  ;-)   I do that a lot - I'd rather eat a flat omelette for dinner and food thought of traditionally as dinner food early in the day.  Seems to work well for me, and since I live alone, I don't have to cater to anyone else's tastes  ;-D

What did I learn from this?  Well, I've learned in the past few weeks that I need to get more fish in and more veg in.  Those things help my energy levels.  I've been skirting the edge of being a carbetarian, and it's not good.  Not best for me.  It hasn't helped that I'm still without a treadmill.   Man - I really miss it. 

So, to paraphrase Dr. Wayne DyerSugar, Be Gone!  Right back to avoiding sugar and highly processed foods, getting more fish protein, going a little easier on the peanut butter and nuts, carbs more from fruits and veg again, and a renewed focus on moving forward.

I am thankful to have figured this out.  Yay Me!

I must have Ally McBeal on the brain - here is one of my favorite Vonda Shepard tunes from the soundtrack. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts