. . . and More Change . . .

I don't know how much more I can stand . . .

Two weeks ago I said goodbye to regular production of my podcast, All About African Violets.

Last week, I said goodbye to the Ravelry group of which I was a co-founder and co-moderator, Year of Stash Socks (known in the vernacular as YOSS).  After three years, the other moderators and I knew that it was time to say goodbye - it will shut down at the end of the year.

And today - on the Solstice - the shortest day of the year, I am saying goodbye to the stand of Blue Spruce trees in my backyard.

It's a gloomy, gloppy day here in Chicagoland.  And my heart is just breaking . . .  They have stood guard back at the wayback of my yard for the decade I've been here and many before.  The house was built more than 50 years ago and I'm sure these trees are at least 50 years old.  There are eight of them back here (and one in the front that's got to go, too).

You can see in this photo (although it's dark - really gloomy today) that they are so very ill.  They have something called cytospora canker and are dying from the ground, up.  They were all too far gone to be saved. . . 


They start cutting at the bottom and they took the biggest one first.

Then they work their way up as far as is safe and then cut the top off - here is the top, just falling (toward me actually).


And here is it on the ground.  I had to stop watching after this first one . . .



JesusMaryandJoseph I am so sad about this.  It's just horrible to see them come down.

Comments

Auntea said…
Oh A, my heart absolutely aches for you. Every time I drive by our family farm in WI, I still miss the trees that came down. I climbed them all when I was young, picked their apples, and hid behind them during snow ball or water fights. I know it has to be done, but I grieve with you.
A :-) said…
Thanks Ellie - it's just heartbreaking to lose them all.
Michelle said…
I always feel like I'm witnessing a murder when I see a tree cut down . . . even a Christmas tree. And to lose your privacy screen on top of it! I so, so wish I could give you a new hedge of mature evergreens for Christmas!
A :-) said…
Michelle - thank you. It really is sad, even though I know that they were not going to be able to get better.

Popular Posts